Week 16

This has been a very frustrating week. Last week I managed to get the old bath ‘pond’ out of the ground so that I could repurpose it as a raised salad bed. However, what I didn’t realise, was that I had pulled a muscle/tendon in my right elbow. This causes great pain every time I put any pressure on the right arm, restricting very much what I can do.

So, the plan to move the bath and continue clearing the area at the end of the plot where the polytunnel is going to go has had to be put on hold. As a result, I am restricted to weeding and general tidying up, and there certainly is enough of that to be getting on with.

Wednesday 18 May – Managed to grab a couple of hours at the allotment this morning. Last time I was up, I managed to weed beds 1 & 2 but never got around to bed 3. This bed is laid out for potatoes and rows of roots such as parsnips, carrots and swede.

Over the past few weeks, the soil has been so dry, it was like dust and so easy to lift the weeds. However, we have had rain recently and the ground had become a lot harder. It took about an hour to clear the bed of the weeds, but then I was not rushing things. It was one of those lovely sun on the back days and I was in no rush.

Saturday 21 May – due to the increased pain in my arm, only managed a couple of hours at the allotment. However, the key thing was getting the old bathtub moved to its new position in front of the shed. Just need to get it lifted up on bricks to allow free drainage then I can get it filled and planted out with salad gear.

I also made a start on clearing the brambles from the eastern boundary fence. Before I can lift the roots, I need to cut back the existing old and new brambles. I made a start on this but quickly discovered that the brambles were too thick for the secaeteurs and needed to bring the loppers from home. Before leaving for home, picked our first stems of rhubarb – looking good.

Sunday 22 May – busy morning spent clearing the brambles along the 18m boundary fence. It was just as well that I brought the loppers up as some of the brambles were 15mm diameter! Now I can start lifting the roots balls and disposing of them. This was followed by weeding around the rhubarb and earthing up the potatoes.

Away from the allotment I managed to empty and clean the greenhouse and set it up for the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and chillies. This year I have 8 tomatoes, 4 cucumbers, 4 sweet peppers, 4 bell peppers and 4 chillies in the greenhouse with a further 7 tomato plants outside.


My Bed 3 using VegPlotter.com – Get 20% OFF using code DODDY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s